In 1921, a group of neighbors in Round Hill, seeing the need for a community church that would welcome and include people of all Christian denominations, formed the Round Hill Community Church, thereby being among the first to embrace the concept of ecumenical worship. Services were held at the corner of Round Hill Road and John Street in the then inactive Round Hill Methodist Episcopal Church. The church building was completely renovated and the property down Round Hill Road, on which the present church stands, was acquired. The first two ministers were Harold Wilson and John Prince. Early on, members wrote the Church Creed and Prayer, still being used today. When the Methodist church sought to reestablish itself with a new minister, the majority of the Round Hill Community Church congregation had to find a new home and, as a result, relocated the campus to its current location.
Services were held in the Community House, which was built in 1926 by neighbors for use by the community. Worshiping in a makeshift sanctuary and working tirelessly to plan for the building of a new church brought everyone closer together. It became a period of deeper spiritual and community renewal.
The Reverend Walter Wagoner was called to be our minister in 1979, and it was under his leadership that Willis N. Mills Jr., of SMS Architects, was commissioned to design the new sanctuary and church school. Construction began in 1982, and through the enormous generosity of church members, an award-winning, debt-free structure was completed in time for Christmas Eve Services on December 24, 1983. In 2009 we celebrated twenty-five years in this beautiful sanctuary.
Following Dr. Wagoner’s retirement, the Reverend Dr. Ralph E. Ahlberg was chosen to be our minister in September 1987, and after Dr. Ahlberg’s retirement in 1999, the congregation welcomed the Reverend Bob Culp, who served until 2010, when he decided to move back to Maryland. After a period of search and interim ministry, The Rev. Edward Horstmann became our Senior Minister in June 2013.
Click on the play arrow below to view Part 1 of Round Hill Community Church: The Story of a Growing Community of Faith, a video history of RHCC.
Click on the play arrow below, to view Part 2 of Round Hill Community Church: The Story of a Growing Community of Faith, a video history of RHCC.
Click on the play arrow below, to view Part 3 of Round Hill Community Church: The Story of a Growing Community of Faith, a video history of RHCC.
Click on the photo below, to view Part 4 of Round Hill Community Church: The Story of a Growing Community of Faith, a video history of RHCC.
- Worship / Music
- Faith Formation
- Faith in Action
- Children & Youth Ministries
- Newsletters/ Events Photos
- Round Hill Community House