Lenten Series: "Speaking Christian"
This intriguing series will be based on Marcus Borg's book, Speaking Christian: Why Christian Words Have Lost Their Meaning and Power -- And How They Can Be Restored.
Modern Christians are steeped in a language so distorted that it has become a stumbling block to the religion, says internationally renowned Bible scholar Marcus J. Borg. Borg argues that Christianity’s important words, and the sacred texts and stories in which those words are embedded, have been narrowed by a modern framework for the faith that emphasizes sin, forgiveness, Jesus dying for our sins, and the afterlife. Here, Borg employs the “historical-metaphorical” method for understanding Christian language that can restore for us these words of power and transformation. For example,
- Redemption: now narrowly understood as Jesus saving us from sins so we can go to heaven, but in the Bible it refers to being set free from slavery.
- Savior: now refers to Jesus as the one who saves us from our sins, but in the Bible it has a rich and wonderful variety of meanings having nothing to do with the afterlife.
- Sacrifice: now refers to Jesus’s death on the cross as payment for our sins, but in the Bible it is never about substitutionary payment for sin.
- Worship / Music
- Faith Formation
- Growing in Faith
- Greenwich Sentinel Articles
- Small Group Gatherings
- Faith in Action
- Children & Youth Ministries
- Newsletters/ Events Photos
- Round Hill Community House